Welcome to the New Website
Thanks for stopping by! This little online clubhouse been a long long time in the making...nearly 3 years off and on and almost full time (and many days overtime) for the last nine months. I've learned a tremendous amount in many different areas of website development along the way, the most important of which is when to ask for help!
Not only is this website going to launch by April 1st, it will actually launch today, March 29, a whole three days EARLY...when was the last time you ever got something wonderful before you were expecting it? I know...it's been ages and ages for me too! The only reason this could have happened is that:
Firstly, a dozen fabulous knitters from our community stepped forward this past Monday to go through the website with a fine-toothed comb, looking for issues and glitches and then took the time to make detailed lists so we all knew what still needed to be addressed, and
Secondly, my brother-in-law, James, agreed to help with the formatting issues we were seeing on tablets as well as transferring domains to the new platform, things that each would have likely taken me weeks. He's been really amazing dealing with all my website stress this past week and I'm deeming him an honorary member of the knitting community. He's more than earned it. Thanks James!!!
There are several features that I've dreamed of having on this website, some are already in place and others will be introduced as quickly as possible. Of the fun features that are currently part of the website, you'll notice:
- A random image on the home page each time the page refreshes. We'll be adding and removing photos over time so expect to see the collection of home page images progress with whatever we happen to be doing at the studio-shop at that moment.
- Separate sections on the home page that you can scroll down through to get an idea of what current special or limited time things are going on...things like links to the special colorways we were going to bring to the Dallas Fort Worth Fiber Festival (cancelled because of the coronavirus pandemic) which will be put up in the next couple of days. Many of these sections will only be up a week or two before being replaced with something more current. We move quickly around here...it makes the designing and dyeing a lot more fun for everyone on our little team if we get to frequently play with something new. I know you all can relate (I'm looking specifically at those of you who just cast on something new in the past few days!).
- A hover feature which allows you to mouse-over certain product images in a collection to see an alternate image that might be useful. For instance, in the unified gradient yarns, the hover feature allows you to see the gradient cake of yarn wound in the opposite direction. As we add additional collections, you will continue to see this feature utilized where appropriate.
- Links in the product description to other products that are related (as well as suggested related products at the bottom of the product page). This is especially useful for navigating quickly between unified gradient yarns, six pack collections, and terminal colors. Often, if I'm playing around with colors and notice a particularly striking color combination, I will link the two items through their descriptions.
The website is, and likely forever will be, in a state of development. It's more fun for me to play with new ideas and this is going to carry over to the website just as it has in our studio. Expect the website to change frequently but in the coming weeks I would like to:
- Begin filling the gallery with photos of projects, descriptions of the knitting of these projects, color suggestions, and links to those colors in case you want to make your own!
- Add the ability in for you to compare colors directly so you can have some fun making your own color combinations
- Add additional sections for non-gradient fiber and tools
- Continue adding descriptions of our products, such as the yarn base descriptions in progress today in the Yarn category. These will be added the most quickly - don't be surprised if you see them in progress the first time you visit and then completed a few hours later. I'm going to try and keep things as real-time as I can so you can get the information as quickly as possible, but this may mean you won't have everything all at once.
I dearly hope you enjoy the new website!!! Please feel free to leave comments. I haven't made it through all of the broken links or typos, but I expect that to within the next day or so. Thanks again for stopping by - Kimber
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.